Disneyland Paris is broadcasting an exclusive “Making-Of” feature from behind-the-scenes at The Lion King & Jungle Festival
This summer, Disneyland Paris brings to life two Disney masterpieces with The Lion King and Jungle Festival, from 30 June to 22 September 2019. The Lion King and Jungle Festival offers an immersive experience with new shows created especially for Disney Parks, exclusive products as well as new food and beverage offerings.
To celebrate the event, Disneyland Paris filmed a special 45-minute documentary that goes behind-the-scenes from initial development and creation of the season concept all the way to opening day. A team of three journalists followed and filmed every week for six months the different crucial stages to create The Jungle Book Jive and The Lion King: Rhythms of the Pride Lands.
The special documentary will include how the shows were created, the recording of music, artists’ rehearsals, set and costume design, development of merchandise and food and beverage, plus a whole lot more.
An official production from the Disneyland Paris team, this program is a first for the resort, giving viewers the opportunity to take a peek behind-the-scenes of the Disney magic. It will be broadcast for free on the official Disneyland Paris YouTube channel.
Discover the documentary on Friday 26 of July 2019 at 8PM here: https://www.youtube.com/disneylandparis
Discover now the trailer of this exclusive program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_IWbUeMILg
The Lion King & Jungle Festival: Fun Facts
The Lion King: Rhythms of the Pride Lands
The show is performed at Frontierland Theater, which is equipped with 360° sound technology three times more powerful than IMAX theaters to provide the ultimate immersive experience for audiences. It is only the fourth theater in the world with this technology. The stage is the biggest built at Disneyland Paris – 40 meters wide with massive drums.
There are nine songs in the show, including two from the original Broadway musical. Favorite characters such as Simba, Nala, Timon and Pumbaa will come to life onstage for this new show created by Disneyland Paris, along with the classic story from the film and the iconic songs:
The Circle of Life
I Just Can’t Wait To Be King
Can You Feel the Love Tonight
He Lives in You
Busa / King of Pride Rock
The show features 30 performers on weekdays – including singers, dancers, acrobats and drummers – with a French sign language interpreter added on weekends.
Eleven nationalities are represented, and former performers from the Mogador and West End Lion King shows are part of the cast.
More than 200 people worked over a span of two and a half years to bring the show to life, including a full month of rehearsals both in-studio and on stage leading up to opening.
More than 900 people auditioned to be part of the show – over 500 dancers, 200 singers and 100 acrobats – starting more than a year ago.
Costume design began two years ago, creating 400 costumes for the show.
The soundtrack was recorded at Angel Recording Studios in London, with an impressive symphony orchestra, a big band, a massive rhythm section and various traditional African instruments including the djembe, talking drum, mbira, kora, conga and bongo drum.
The Jungle Book Jive
This live show is an original Disneyland Paris creation performed in the heart of Disneyland Park. It revolves around four sequences, with the major highlight taking place on Central Plaza with a 360° show in front of Sleeping Beauty Castle.
There are nearly 70 characters and performers in the cast, including drummers coming especially from the state of Rajasthan, India.
Ten Disney characters are part of the show: Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy, Goofy, Chip and Dale, Clarice, Baloo and King Louie.
Gigantic, colorful animals up to 5m high are used by artists as musical instruments.
A team from Disneyland Paris spent several weeks in India, including the state of Rajasthan, to get inspiration and create the most immersive experience possible.
Iconic songs from The Jungle Book were specially orchestrated by American composer Roger Butterley, including The Bare Necessities, I Wanna Be Like You and Trust in Me. He also composed an exclusive song just for this show.
It took two years to fully develop this new show, including a full month of rehearsals in-studio and in the park at night.
Merchandise and Food & Beverage
- Vast range of products available: Over one hundred The Lion King and Jungle Festival-themed products in shops.
- A team of product design artists: About twenty artists on the Merchandise Artistic Design team.
- One if the range is linked directly to the “The Lion King: Rhythm of the Pride Lands” show just like musical show products (posters, tote bags, mugs, etc.) was created especially for this season-themed show, as well as fashion and lifestyle products focused on the emblematic character of a whole generation: Simba.
- The hero also inspired Richard Orlinksi: Internationally renowned sculptor has created an exclusive figurine of young Simba (17cm, €59.99) sold in limited series in Disneyland Paris.
A unique catering offer for explorers big and small
- For the new season The Lion King and Jungle Festival, 30 new catering products exclusive to Disneyland Paris have been created.
- The desserts, dishes and cocktails at Disneyland Paris have been created using coconut, mango, pineapple, banana, lemon, lime, pomegranate, passion fruit, lychee and papaya bringing the number of different fruits to 10 in total.
- The savannah on a plate: 14 products from the range reference an animal from the savannah (giraffes, elephants, lions, leopards, etc.).
- A lion-themed season: three different lion paw-inspired products constitute the range of food products for this season, and nine products reference lions.
- Exclusive milkshakes: two milkshakes featuring characters from the Lion King can be found at Victoria’s restaurant at Disneyland Paris, during the season only.
- A season-themed meal together with Disney Characters: two Disney characters –Mickey, in an explorer’s outfit created especially for the restaurant, and Rafiki– will provide entertainment at a special meal at Hakuna Matata Restaurant, during the season only.
- An ice-cream fit for a king: The “Exotic Paradise Ice-Cream” pays tribute to the famous scene in The Lion King animation film where Simba sings “ I just can’t wait to be king “
The Lion King & Jungle Festival will be at Disneyland Paris from 30 June to 22 September 2019. Further information available please visit: https://news.disneylandparis.com/en/
About Disneyland® Paris
Euro Disney Associés S.A.S, operating company of Disneyland Paris has 16,000 employees, 500 professions, 20 spoken languages and 121 nationalities. Disneyland Paris is the number one single-site employer in France and the largest private employer in the department of Seine-et-Marne. The Resort includes Disneyland® park, Walt Disney Studios® park, six Disney Hotels and two Disney Nature Resorts with a total capacity of more than 5,800 rooms, two convention centers, the entertainment center Disney Village® and a 27-hole golf course. In addition, the company manages the real estate development operating segment of a 2,230-hectare site, approximately 50% of which is yet to be developed.